PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2016, 12:11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys

Very grateful for the balanced replies. They are more like the kind of assessment I would expect. Which basically is that, for anyone wishing to fly entirely SH for the rest of their career, BA SH probably isn't the greatest. If you want to travel in to work every day, and be home every night, (rather than visiting some of the world's great cities) don't come to BA. If you value your LHS, rather than job security, don't come to BA.

Is BA the greatest flying job in the world? Where is???? That definitely wouldn't be an airline job anyway! Is it the best paid job in the world? No, you can go fly for non-unionised airlines in the ME, if you'd like that! Or Chapter 11 protected US carriers if you have the necessary right to work for them, and have a decade or so in which to try to join!

The great news for tommytailwind is that, for anyone for whom LH just isn't working, then unlike Virgin, you ALWAYS retain the option of bidding for SH. You would also have significant seniority/control once there too!

BA isn't what it used to be! On that 'bombshell' we can all agree. But that change hasn't happened in isolation. It is no more than a reflection of the world in which we now live. Get used to it, or find an alternative career that hasn't similarly changed!

It is what it is!

What I will say is this. No carrier in the UK offers a greater range of work-life choices than BA. If you can't find one that suits you, then the problem may not actually lie with the employer??

One quick question if I may? What is stopping some of you guys flying your beloved hand flown visuals into Faro etc? VERY recently, I would say 75-80% of my approaches in BA were hand flown.

Last edited by 4468; 14th Dec 2016 at 12:23.