PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas non-stop PER to LHR?
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2016, 06:37
Tuck Mach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do we have Qantas angels here too?
Thank you Stanwell, this is my point, with this mob of managers, you would be very myopic and shortsighted, perhaps desperate to take anything they said at face value.

A derivative of the investment parlance today is 'buy the rumour, sell the established fact'.

Firstly, Qantas have done nothing yet. The first aircraft a year off, the route around sixteen months. I would not be so certain the 'economics' on the route are unchanged in a year and a half. Yield can easily keep declining, fuel or other input costs can rise, outside the control of management making the route quickly a non-performer.

If the 'maybe' and 'could' becomes fact and the route is sustainable, then by all means come back and tell me my crystal ball was wrong. At least wait 18 months, given you all in the employ of Qantas have had AOC splits abandoned, after a reported $135 million expense, a Red Q well advanced, yet abandoned, 400 odd JQ aircraft by 2020 (that requires a CAGR of 33%, something that no airline sustains for long, particularly when they aren't the lead entrant), a 'terminal decline' and transformation, all under the current board and management. Yes, should it all work out and Qantas actually do fly the route, that is great! Mainline lost 80 odd aircraft whilst Joyce poured them into JQ, getting a potential new route for those at Qantas I guess is something, but a lot can change between 2016 and 2018.

Of course, poor old Colin Barnett desperate for positive news after wanting to secede from Australia at the height of the mining boom, to a wasteland of a state budget. Anything including plugging the gap between the Perth Airport and the airline, putting the taxpayer on the hook for $14 million to grab a headline!