PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Here it comes: Syria
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2016, 21:19
Lonewolf_50

Received 416 Likes on 259 Posts
If they die while hungry or die with a bit of food in their bellies, when the projected massacres occur ... how does this airdrop help? From the linked Guardian article:
The issue was also raised in prime minister’s questions by Angus Robertson, the SNP leader in Westminster, who pressed the government to do more to help end the suffering of people in Syria.
“The situation in the besieged city of Aleppo is so bad it could be one of the biggest massacres of civilian population since the second world war,” he said.
“It is very welcome that the UN security council is discussing Syria to consider what can actually be done to alleviate the suffering of people. But things are so bad that aid agencies say Aleppo is experiencing a descent into hell.
“Can I appeal to the prime minister, time is of the essence: please can everything be done to help the people of Aleppo and Syria?”
Aid agencies never stop asking for more. (It's in the nature of the business, I suppose). Granted, this isn't my government nor our people (we've got a variety of folks in the region doing a variety of stuff) but I don't find Mr Robertson's appeal to be rational. Caveat: I was career military, so perhaps I just can't see things through his pair of glasses.

So I'll ask: is he doing this to try embarrassing the sitting government (who are not his party) or does he honestly believe that air dropped food is going to solve the problem? The problem is that there isn't a cease fire.