PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DUNDEE
Thread: DUNDEE
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2016, 15:07
Porrohman

Location: Second star to the right, and straight on 'til morning
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goldeneye said;
I think there is will to keep the AMS operating in the area, and loads seemed to be quite good. Don't know if the ERJ145 can operate from Dundee, but if not maybe getting some ATR42's or even the ATR72 could be an option.
The E145 should be able to operate DND-AMS with a full payload but would be unable to take off from DND at MTOW so flights further into Europe would be more of a challenge.

Does anyone know whether the E145 would have to follow the Cat B or the Cat C approach into runway 09 at DND? I have a feeling that the Q400 is Cat B but becomes Cat C during icing conditions as a result of the higher initial approach speed of 170kts in such conditions. I could be wrong though; to some extent it depends on an airline's SOP, not just the performance of the aircraft.

The Cat C approach into DND Runway 09 creates potential conflicts with air traffic at Scone. See; NATS | AIS - Home

I wonder whether the potential requirement to carry out a Cat C approach during icing conditions and the resultant potential conflict with traffic at Scone might have been a contributory factor for switching the AMS flight to EDI?

The ILS/DME approach to Runway 09 can be problematic. There are warnings for this in the approach charts. There is a also the potential for confusion between the nav aids used for the ILS/DME procedure on Runway 09. There is no ILS/DME approach chart on the NATS website for Runway 27 at DND.

Here are some quotes from the data provided on the NATS site;

3° ILS Ref Datum Hgt 41 ft. Quality of GP guidance is not suitable for coupled approaches below 200ft. Due to terrain, LOC and GP flag alarms may be experienced at northern edge of coverage when below glidepath sector. Full scale fly-up indications may not be maintained when left of centre-line.
NDB(L) DND is 2.6NM from THR RWY 09 and is offset 230m north of LOC C/L
The Category C Instrument Approach Procedure infringes the Perth ATZ at 1800ft above Perth aerodrome elevation. Pilots must notify ATC of their intention to conduct a Category C approach on first contact. The eastern edge of the perth ATZ lies 9.5NM west of THR RWY 09. To prevent confliction with possible VFR traffic in the Perth ATZ, pilots should not extend the outbound leg of the base turn beyond the prescribed procedural distances.
The Procedure not available without DME I-DDE.
A Beech Baron crashed into the Sidlaw Hills eighteen months ago as a result of flying a final approach profile using the DND NDB(L) instead of the DME I-DDE; https://assets.publishing.service.go...RICK_01-16.pdf