PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Cargo G-KILO
View Single Post
Old 19th Nov 2016, 08:40
Lordflasheart

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
CV880 - Aaaaah the old-style Cathay management was “all heart” wasn’t it. I suppose you got someone to make your tea too ? Bunks indeed ! There weren’t any bunks on G-KILO because there were never enough chaps in the crew to use them (legally that is, even if there had been)

If you had bunks in VR-HVY, what really long sectors did it fly ? It must have been an interesting trade-off between fuel and freight, unless it was really high-value.

It reminds me that later on, we were forbidden by the FOD to use the on-flight-deck bunks on the 747 Classic pax a/c unless it was an augmented crew (more than three) Even though the F/E could wake the sleeper without leaving his seat. It further reminds me that a little while later BA placed a second order for 747-400s and paid for the crew loo and bunks to be removed – “400-lite” I think. Really useful, like buying 777s without proper crew rest, while another Brit LH airline recently bought A330s without crew rest too.

For sometime after selling the 707 Freighters, BA paid JAL to do its cargo work with (I think) DC-8 freighters on the trans-ANC route. JAL had bought a fuel mine in Alaska and it was claimed that it was cheaper to pay JAL to do the our freighting. IIRC that caused my old mate Capt Noisy to utter some public apoplexy in the firelighter.

LFH