PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ikarus C42 thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2016, 13:46
SlipSlider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have reservations about the C42 as a tourer, a locally based pilot flew his from Goodwood to Capetown and back to Goodwood. Google "Flight of Ikarus". Quite a trip to say the least.

I have been flying my 70yr old Champ for 700hrs and 15yrs now, and it suits me perfectly - but like any vintage vehicle be it car or aeroplane it's not turn-the-key-and-go like a modern equivalent, and that's where the C42 Ikarus and EV97 Eurostar win ... or lose depending on personal preferences! Maintenance can be time-consuming, and some spares are becoming increasingly difficult to find. Not impossible, just time-consuming (again!).

I have not flown a C42, although it's something I plan to do as I would like to sample the central stick and unusual throttle arrangement; I have had a few trips in a Eurostar, which I think is a delightful machine. The showstopper for me is the capital cost for a decent pre-owned example of either C42 or EV97, which is roughly 3 times that of a Champ. Difficult to justify that investment to Mrs Slip. I'm used to being sole-owner, so I don't plan to join a group until that should become the only option left to me.