PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2016, 19:35
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luton airport reinforces call for express trains after passenger increase

The proposals have been endorsed by the CBI, FSB and easyJet, as well as the Transport Select Committee Chair Louise Ellman MP and Andy McDonald MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Transport. With that lot behind the airport I find it hard to believe that it will be turned down particularly as there is no cost involved just a change in the timetables.

With a mass transit system going in that should offer a seamless experience in around 4 years time and the fact that the standard daytime service would offer 20 trains an hour calling in at Parkway (4 non stop, 4 semi-fast and 2 all stations trains in each direction) it will make its main competitor Stansted looking somewhat like it was located out in the backwoods.

When I have travelled on the non stop service out of St Pancras it seems that no sooner have a settled in my seat that the train is arriving at Luton but then it only takes 22 minutes to complete the journey.

Also from the north it would give Luton a half hourly service to and from Sheffield, Leicester, Derby and Nottingham as well as an hourly service to York via Sheffield. Also it would put East Midland Airport just an hour away from their station.

Last edited by LTNman; 14th Nov 2016 at 21:41.