PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mike Pence's plane skids off runway at LGA
Old 12th Nov 2016, 14:23
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks FlightDetent. I understand your pov as well. The data is there, "why not use it to see what happened."

If I may...

The industry is recognizing that it is becoming a significant challenge in flight safety and investigative work that unofficial sources like everyone's cellphone, Twitter and FR24 can influence widespread understanding and the drawing of conclusions of an incident or accident. It is true that both can be helpful in the "official" investigation but only in the hands of trained and experienced investigators.

I know the tide cannot be stopped from coming in and that today, "official" & "unofficial" have become maleable concepts. However, from a retired airline pilot's and safety investigator's pov, the above cautions, which apply to all aviation incidents, ensure that as solid a set of conclusions are derived from the sources designed for the work and that appropriate corrective actions are enabled.

The photograph of the flaps I referenced at the beginning of the thread, showed them in the takeoff position. Why were they in that position and not the 30 or 40 position? The question can't be answered by FR24 or anyone here until the NTSB releases their interim work. In the meantime, we dont' know the flap position's contribution to the overrun, if any. Did they have a hydraulic issue - likely not, but we don't know.

Again, thanks for your clarifying response.

Last edited by PJ2; 12th Nov 2016 at 15:46.