PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - China Southern A380 Prang LAX
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2016, 11:12
FlareArmed2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ACMS
I've heard several times in YMML ATC begging the crew to look out the window and wave off the ground crew who were trying to show the pin. Depending on location ATC can't issue a taxi clearance until the Tug reports clear, the Tug couldn't report clear until the wave off.

The cockpit crew just didn't get it and they sat there for 5 mins until they worked it out.

Obviously they would have happily taxied off without checking the ground crew were clear......luckily YMML local procedures saved the day........now in LAX?

Obviously they don't always look outside......
Obviously you don't know what you are talking about, and are condescending as well.

I am a Westerner working for a major Chinese airline - not this one. In China, the procedure is to do the After Start checklist, make the taxi call, and then wave the ground crew goodbye before starting the taxi. They do not wave off the ground crew before the taxi call. They do not taxi until they have a wave off from the ground crew. There is no "Ground Crew.... Clear" call in the After Start checklist. Perfectly safe, just different to my former airlines.

Just because you do things one particular way doesn't mean it is the best or even the only way of doing things.

Whether you do the After Start checklist before or after waving at the ground crew is irrelevant and a red herring. Actually checking clear to taxi is vital for any airline and any crew, and mistakes have been made before by all nationalities. Perhaps this thread could focus on aviation safety issues, without the lecturing.