PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bomb in shoe joke lands AF pilot in hot water
Old 10th Aug 2003, 08:00
LatviaCalling

Still behind the curtain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxflyer,

I would have to agree with Rolling Thunder about the "smart ass idiot civilians."

Although I don't pilot my own aircraft anymore, I do fly quite often and it amazes me what these vacationers try to take into the cabin. Samurai swords, switchblades and BB pistols "for my son" who'll be sitting right beside me, so don't worry.

Don't they read newspapers or watch TV to know what is allowed or not. Even at the gate check-in you have the option to drop your metal nail files and scissors into a bag and they will be checked into the hold.

No, these people have no idea what is going on and then start raising hell when an item is taken away from them. I'm sad to say that a colleague of mine bought a 16-piece stainless steeel Solingen knife set at the Hamburg airport and tried to take it aboard.

The bells and whistles went off and the Germans did not confiscate the bootly, but put it into a special Lufthansa bag and sent it downstairs where he collected it in Riga. Others have not been so lucky.

I guess after all this rambling, the point is that the average Joe Shmoe has no bloody idea what airport security is all about, despite the warnings, posters and other information. All he knows is that you better take your pocket change out so it does not activate the buzzer.