PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type rating of choice - hypothetically
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2003, 01:39
GASH !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailscrape, you speak wisely as always, I've never met an airline pilot yet (and I've worked with thousands) who would recommend paying for a type rating.

The CTC scheme is indeed an exclusive club, paying £6000 for an MCC and advanced handling course is a world away from these idiots who are prepared to pay £16000 for an ATR rating.

bruce88, just out of interest where would you draw the line ? Why stop at one type rating ? How little would you work for? bearing in mind that you describe yourself as a desperado? Myself, a CPL/IR with MCC is enough, I will not pay one penny more, and neither will my colleagues. One of which is off to Sweden tomorrow to begin his type rating (after waiting patiently for 18 months for a break) and one of which is starting his 737 rating in 2 weeks (paid by his new employer).

If wannabes didn't pay for type ratings then airlines would have to, that is a fact. Now if people are really prepared to pay £16000 for a rating on an ATR, then go ahead and do it. I will happily bring you your loadsheet, and every time you walk through that front hold to get to the cockpit you'll know you've made the wrong choice.