PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular Pilot training advice (Finance)
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2016, 18:46
inabw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spaflyer
As other people mentioned:

I'm 33 years old with an IT background, when I started with my aviation career in 2011, didn't have the money, or any idea how to start, I've did research on internet and felt on a trap as a fool of a school who offers PPL in USA for as low of 6000$, (which didn't mentioned anything was included)... so ended needing some money to finish it (1500$ short) so parents borrow me this money and I returned it on the next 3 months.

Decided that aviation was what I wanted to do, so moved away from Spain, and moved to UK where salaries where much higher than rest of Europe, start working in Milton Keynes as IT Linux Admin, with a salary of 2500£ per month (plus on call and overtime), ended working 60 hours per week to get some more. We lived 2 person with this salary as my girlfriend wasn't working and was attending University at this time

So saved enough to do some time building, and at same time I was working on my company did my ATPL ground school in Oxford distance learning (as I couldn't afford to not work for 18 months) to do it residential. Used my 4 weeks of holidays to attend brush up courses and ATPL exams, so first year = 0 holidays and 0 Christmas presents (well we had a White Toblerone Chocolate, a Fuel Strainer, and Bottle of Bacardi Rum as present) yei..!

Second year 2012, saved around 12.000£ so used my 25 days of Holidays to do my IFR FAA course and finish my ATPL exams, as I completed it with 40 hours sharp and first attempt on IFR, I rewarded my self with a decent headset (Light Speed) as delayed Christmas Present, and new laptop for girlfriend for University.

In 2013, saved all year and I was able to save slightly more money, so we did a weekend trip back to Spain to visit family (yes after 2 yeas, we had 0 holidays and our "Holidays" where focused on aviation). So did my CPL SE training, and although I was planing to do also my ME, run out of time, so left without any of them, but with training almost completed.

2014: Saved enough money to finish what I left half way, so came back to US and finished CPL and ME.

2015: Company get merged and some of us where made redundant, so moved to Ireland where I get another job offer on the same range of salary, and at same time involved on aviation industry. (Not much saving this year due this facts relocations, etc..) however did a travel to USA with friends and family and build another 50 hours.

2016: Saved money to pay for FAA to EASA conversion, around 10k, and 4.5K for MCC/JOC, finshed everything 2 months ago (after 5 years of hard work), and as reward did my Sea Plane rating in Florida with some real proper holidays with girlfriend, who have been with my all this time, and yes we had arguments about money, enjoying life, and it we will see the fruits one day or not.

And since I finished, I still saving money in case I need for a Type Rating, asked parents to also put all Christmas/Birthday presents in a piggy bank in case I need them for same purpose.

So it can be done, but it requires a lot of discipline and hard work. Meanwhile my main job did extra works to get extra income: Volleyball Referee, Diving Instructor, Webdesigner, Airbnb, etc...
You are really strong and I think you will reach your goals, i'm sure about this. The determination and the sacrifice are the key. Thank you mate to shared with us your story.

Last edited by inabw; 24th Nov 2019 at 10:31.