PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upset on AA Flight
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2003, 16:45
robmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to say that there is an awful lot of ego flying around in pprune.

I am a ppl, and fly my own twin IFR around SE Asia, I know for example what a thunder storm looks like, my aircraft might come apart a bit easier than yours if I should accidentally find myself inside one, and although sometimes I have the benefit of a qualified pilot in the right seat, sometimes it is just me the aircraft, and a fairly steam driven flight deck, with quite a heavy workload depending on circumstances, especially with the "support" of Indonesian controllers.

The principles of flight are somewhat universal, regardless of equipment (except maybe the A320) or "pilot status", so I don't see that even if Lomcevak was not an aviation superhero, why his points should not be valid.

I have two recent incidences which, I do not suppose led to any reports, but certainly caused alarm for myself and fellow pax.

1. SWA 737 Oakland to LAX, in descent the aircraft appeared to momentarily depart from controlled flight, with what could only be described as a "wing drop" to the left followed by a high rate rolling reversal to the right and then a recovery. I couldn't tell you the bank angle or height loss, as I had my eyes shut by then !!!, but it would seem like a good job was done on the flight deck.

2. United 747-400 out of Washington Dulles to LHR. In the first class lounge the TV weather channel was showing red/yellow radar returns virtually circling Washington, when we taxied the rain was hammering down like anything I have seen on a bad day in the tropics, lightning flashes all around, the aircraft turns in to a holding point with at least six other aircraft holding ahead in the queue. Five minutes later with no change in the weather we taxi past all the other waiting aircraft, and depart. As Airshow was showing on the TV screens, it was quite interesting to watch the aircraft, twist and turn, looking for a hole in the CBs, reversing course at least 4 times and once even manageing a 450 degree turn. The ride can only be described as moderate to severe turbulence, and at some point some joker on the outside appeared to firing golfballs at the fuselage, at least that was what it sounded like from seat 2A, but to be fair, on arrival at LHR, there were no dents in the airframe, although the paintwork looked a bit "worn". The captain came on the PA to reassure all that this was perfectly normal, he didn't sound much like a sky god, more like he was trying to reassure himself !! United did not cover themselves in glory that day.

Whether I fly in a friends PA28 or a 777-200 with a professional crew, I am not so much worried about a pilots credentials, more that he/she understands about limits !!