PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular Pilot training advice (Finance)
View Single Post
Old 3rd Nov 2016, 06:21
jamesgrainge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by switch_on_lofty
James,

How much do you anticipate it costing in total? If you have zero experience at the moment I'd plan to do your ppl, atpl theory, night rating and hour building whilst working. This means that you can do it at a reasonable pace without too large an effect on your life. The alternative is working all hours then stopping completely to work all hours on flying - neither being much fun.
Then look at a loan for the CPL ME IR course - assuming you don't go instructing first which again may be a good option for you.
There are government loans of up to £10k which may help.
https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans/overview
I'm assuming that you rent and can't remortgage and don't know anyone who would lend you the money or guarantee a loan for you?
I wasn't the OP lofty, I'm about halfway through PPL as we speak. That is exactly what I'm doing, I anticipate it being two years to the end of CPL, IR. If I wasn't able to fly at the same time this lifestyle would not be worth it. Doing my maths over I think somewhere around £30k up to CPL level. I already have access to somewhere around £14k should I need it, but I am staying away from any branded school and relying on myself till I've finished CPL. Thus if I have to fund anything afterwards I have a bulk sum to throw in. We have a very very favourable rent situation so don't have to worry too much about bills,no kids etc.

In terms of borrowing money, I could ask my parents. However not being an absolute sponge/waste of space I refuse to be gifted something, I will put the hours in and then the rewards will be so much sweeter in the future.