PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR given permission to build 3rd runway?
Old 29th Oct 2016, 12:52
portmanteau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fairdeal frank, an illuminating address if I may say so. You can see what's coming: " In the light of new information concerning the crossing of M25, the up-to-date pollution and noise issues and the new economic figures, it has been decided to bring back Sir Howard Davies and his team to examine again and report back. We must get this right."

Whatever happened to sound decision-making? Take the Lakeside Incinerator for instance.
Built between 2005 and 2008 so around 2002 someone must have asked is it ok to put it here, slap opposite the airport? No problem said the government of the day, there is absolutely no chance that land will be needed, ever, so go ahead but dont forget to put some obstruction lights on it...
It cost £160million to privately build according to its website. I'm fairly certain that Davies said the cost of demolition, land cost old and new and rebuilding would be circa 1 billion but now cannot find any reference to these costs in his Final Report so I could be out by a few hundred mill.. All this for a plant only 8 years into a 25 year life. Same could be said of digging up M25 only a few years since its last upgrade. Its enough to make the accountants weep.