PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Declaring an emergency
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2003, 00:38
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get some instrument instruction then practice using it when you're flying around with your mates etc. Could save your life one day. I remember thinking after 15 hrs of the FAA IR that I would NEVER be able to fly on instruments. Thinking back about it though, I would have been able to keep control of an aircraft in the clag had I accidentally flown it. Part of it is the expectation that it is terrifying to be out of sight of the ground. 3 years on and a fair few hours actual I don't even think about it, I have flown through some pretty serious frontal IMC and although it was rough, raining so hard you could hear it in the headset quite loud, dark and quiet on the radio [cause no one else was flying ] I actually enjoyed it. The thing that REALLY scares me is meeting an embedded Cb in there. Last flight I did we ended up in and out of IMC with these big Cbs towering around us. Nothing we could do except head for the lighter bits, at one point it was getting so dark in there, commercial traffic was "deviating for weather" on the radio my ass was starting to twitch ... had a storm scope but it is not much good for avoiding cells. [We would have given a lot for a Radar at that point]. Not 30 minutes after landing a big thunder storm passed overhead

Still you live and learn. There is no reason a PPL should get themselves killed becasue of "normal" weather in my book...

Cheers
EA