PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New ATC Documentary on BBC2
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2003, 06:12
LostThePicture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, we could just blanket the country in controlled airspace and prohibit the military from flying anywhere. Would that satisfy contact_tower and Hugmonster? I think that the UK military already feel terribly restricted by the amount of controlled airspace that is starting to surround them - and you want another airway - a 3rd airway - to two fairly minor regional airports? Entirely unreasonable, given the relatively tiny volume of civilian air traffic that would use it.

Hugmonster, if I may answer your final question first - No, I am not a military controller. I am a civilian who can realise that the military are getting a very raw deal as far as this little patch of airspace is concerned.

As for my first comment that you have highlighted for criticism, I can only say the following (although that I can see, given your opinion, we may have to agree to disagree): Class G airspace is not designed for you and your regional turboprops to fly through; it is free airspace. Saying "I am not breaking any rules by not talking to ATC" does not display a lack of airmanship or professionalism, it's merely an exercise of rights. The only person jeopardising air safety is you, by expecting an advisory service in airspace which should be "see and avoid". Have you any idea how difficult it would be to avoid an unknown primary return by 5nm if it popped in front of your aircraft? That is the separation minimum, and that's what you're expecting a military controller to do for you as you trundle through his airspace at 250kts.

The traffic in class G is not necessarily exclusively military; there could be other small turboprops out there, capable of speeds and altitudes similar to civil airliners, who are not talking to anyone. The military controllers at MASOR East operate from a limited number of consoles, with a limited number of staff, and can therefore handle a limited number of aircraft. There is also a limit as to how many tracks each console will accept; I don't know the exact numbers because, as I said, I am not a military controller. But suffice to say it is not a huge number, and the sectors, at this time of year, are frequently overloaded. Every time they get lumbered with a civilian track wanting a RAS into Newcastle, their capacity to handle other traffic decreases. So in a way, you are the object of your own demise.

And so to my second comment. This was merely my personal view of the route which an aircraft flying AMS-NCL would take. It was not about flight safety, it was about PERSONAL safety. I would feel deeply anxious, knowing the airspace I'd be flying through. My job is all about flight safety, so there is little need to preach to me about it. All I'm saying is, when you take that right turn direct to Newcastle, you're out of my hands. And that's not to say that military hands are any less safe. They are excellent controllers who at times are asked to do unenviable tasks, hence my praise of savechip55 and his colleagues at West Drayton. In class G airspace anything can happen, and happen very quickly. Your safety is not a foregone conclusion, no matter whose hands you're in.

LTP