PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stay away from Emirates. (EK)
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2016, 17:22
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alwayzinit ( from way back in post # 49-yes, some sad or bored people do start reading from the beginning)

A quick look at the Zombies waiting for transport in Arrivals gives an inkling.
There is, as far as I am aware, no other carrier operating the same roster structure as EK and as such we are in uncharted territory with regards the long term effects of this type of rostered flying.
To those who are tempted, just like every other decision made in aviation, get the facts and make an objective call.
Safe flying guys and gals, sometimes there are things more important than money,
This pretty well sums things up. ME carriers are in a unique historical position with regard to route structure , and the roster will naturally reflect this ; Far West one day , Far East the next . It is the frequent time zone changes on the health system that will prove to be a ticking time bomb .

6 hours kip in the bunk may sound fine , but not for all . In this regard , the "young" chaps seem to fare pretty well ; they are ready to hit downtown Sao Paulo at midnight local time , whereas all the old duffer Captain can manage is a few beers and then bed . Solo .

There has been a lot of back and forth on the forum over airline issues . We all know the grass is never greener on the other side . However , my experience is that things are usually not quite as bad as they seem , and invariably things do improve . The PEOPLE of an airline (Aircrew and ground crew) are an airlines greatest assets. Without them, an airline is nothing.

Even the most unenlightened management eventually comes to realize this ; unless the awareness comes too late . As I recall , when Pan Am folded , there were more "managers" in head office than there were line Captains.

For the young guys embarking on your aviation career, follow your dream . Won't be easy , but hey , as they say , "life has got to have a few drawbacks" !