PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is the PVR rate amongst pilots these days?
Old 20th Oct 2016, 10:03
Chugalug2

Received 228 Likes on 71 Posts
MPN11:-
instead of being 'out there' with the Real Air Force
In retrospect the very reason I PVR'd as a PC GD/P JO in 1973 (yes, I know, totally irrelevant these days, like me ;-). It is only since then that I have analysed my unease at the prospect of growing old as an SO in the RAF. As I see it, the RAF was designed as a bureaucracy in order to ensure its survival. It has thus almost reached its centenary, thus so far so good I suppose. I would maintain however that, from the point of view of a career, command prospects stop at the station gates.

Sqn/Unit/Wing/Stn Cdrs command the men and women they are responsible for, while those above simply man various levels of a bureaucratic pyramid that extend to the pinnacle CAS position. The titles are impressive of course; Air Officer Commanding-in-Chief, etc, but one is reminded of the words of the Siphonaptera...

Oh, simply to add that I spent the rest of my working life:-
'locked in a cupboard with a stranger for 2 hours 4 times per day'
mostly in the LHS but certainly ending up on the 737 that you instance, Beagle. Thoroughly enjoyed it, though the period spent with a certain BA subsidiary was a bit trying I admit. No regrets though, wouldn't have changed much of it, again in retrospect...

Last edited by Chugalug2; 20th Oct 2016 at 10:26. Reason: Cupboard life