PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stay away from Emirates. (EK)
View Single Post
Old 20th Oct 2016, 02:10
nolimitholdem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A somewhat wide topic, so hard to debate. People will always argue about the definition of "professionalism", and it's beyond the scope of this thread. But I will say, that social media - rightly or wrongly - is more often associated with things like Kardashian and Trump tweets and self-absorbed millennials posting selfies than anything of substance. Surely that's not an inaccurate statement?

It's one thing to defend one's right to plaster cheesy pics of themselves all over their Instagram account - fine. But are you really trying to suggest that it conveys a professional image? Um, ok. Agree to disagree. I have a feeling of regardless of how you want to nit-pick the OM-A, EK won't be thrilled to have their "brand" splashed around quite so much outside of their official permission. Even "positive" spins on EK are now avenues for ridicule, as you can clearly see.

BigGeordie already summed it up beautifully. Reminds me of the old Christmas letters people used to send, trying desperately to convince their friends and family how wonderful their lives are. Social media is just another form of that. Seems to me if you have to work so hard to show people how awesome your life is, it probably isn't. And if you spend so much time trying to record and broadcast your life, you aren't living it, and are thus actually a total loser. But that's just my opinion. Selfie yourself to death, have at 'er.

I don't do much twitface or flickgram because I'm too busy having a life and, well, wasting time on here. However, to me it seems all about the impression you want to give. I do sometimes think it would be fun to set up two separate accounts- one to show all the positive stuff about Dubai and Emirates and one to show all the negative. I'm sure I could make people back in the real world green with envy and have them feeling sorry for me at the same time. As ever, the truth would be somewhere in the middle- and the negative stuff would probably get me fired, which is why I won't be doing it.

When people make major decisions about things like moving their family halfway around the world for a new job and a completely new life they really, really want to think they have made the right decision and they want everybody else to think that as well. Hence there is a great reluctance to post anything negative on social media. I don't think I have ever seen a post on Facebook by someone admitting that their new job/car/house/wife is actually a huge mistake and they wish they had never done it/bought it/married it. Call it human nature, call it confirmation bias if you want to sound clever but either way remember- the internet is not real life.

Last edited by nolimitholdem; 20th Oct 2016 at 02:29.