PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stay away from Emirates. (EK)
View Single Post
Old 18th Oct 2016, 15:59
speedbirdhopeful1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Officer Kite
Hello gentlemen.

I feel very intimidated posting here but here goes ...

Basically I think I'm the guy you all hate, young 20 year old who dreams of flying for EK and doing everything possible at the lower ends of this industry to climb up and make that become a reality. Now I've read all the various threads and know exactly how the majority here feel about EK, and not only EK but the people who are joining with the background I currently have (young, free, willing to do anything to fly LH in the middle east, I would take any chance there be it QR or EY, but EK attracts me the most somehow and hoping my current route and building experience here takes me there.)

Anyway to cut a long story short. I'm on instagram, facebook etc and "follow" many emirates pilots. And they all seem to be having an absolute ball if I'm honest. I messaged one prominent Dutch person and queried him as to the negative claims and he brushed them off totally and said life there is what he imagined and more. My newsfeed is often awash with images of happy faces in all parts of the world, be it boarding speedboats to the hotel in Male or sitting at Boston Common taking the world in.

Bottom line is none of these people remotely reflect the idea of life I get of the place from these forums. And it is difficult to know what to believe. Would anyone here at least vouch for the happy lifestyle that is showed off by many of your colleagues on social media or is it total BS ? It really is confusing, I have a friend who himself is in a position to apply at the moment but he's put it on hold cos he, like me, can't figure what the hell is going on with the contradictions.

Thank you all,
I think I know who you just described, all of those pictures are on that one persons instagram. I just looked him up, firstly he's been in the company a matter of months so it's serious big jet and novelty syndrome. He has just 1 day above the minimum days off in Dubai - not much fun if you have a family (9 in total, no more than 2 in a row). He has 8 trips with 3 turnarounds and 4x 14+ hour long ULR flights. This is probably a 'good' month as well to get USA flights!
Trust me, this isn't glamorous or sustainable.