PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad for flying
Thread: iPad for flying
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2016, 17:13
Local Variation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piltdown,

Where in this thread have people said they are dispensing with traditional methods in favour of relying solely on GPS?

And where is it claimed that we are using GPS to navigate ourselves around a circuit pattern?

Because I don't see any of that and nor would I expect to.

What I do see is a sensible approach being portrayed to enhance safety by the additional use of modern technology. Just because I use GPS doesn't mean I suddenly turn up 20 mins before departure and willingly ignore the MET Office, Notams, Plogs, max drift calcs, fuel burn and all the potential hazards along the route.

Airspace busts for us can have very serious consequences not just primarily to safety, but also to our licensing and wallet. Anything over and above that which mitigates those risks down needs to be looked at and if valuable, applied. And GPS fits that. The CAA themselves endorse. I have sat through their safety briefs on infringements and listened to them tell us about available options including GPS.

The only time I want tea and biscuits at Gatwick is when I go on holiday and not as an invitation to the CAA to explain myself.