PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - iPad for flying
Thread: iPad for flying
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2016, 08:55
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll find the prison with a map thanks. I'll make sure I bring some snout as well, so you can pay the big boys not to mess about with you in the showers...

But seriously, flying in small aircraft should not be a gadget arms race. I can not see the additional pleasure gained in having to check version numbers of downloads, database validity dates, charge states and manufacturers' notices before comparing my GPS maps with the official 1/2 mil. charts. And then typing in waypoints, checking for airspace infringements and then doing all the things you have to do anyway.

Weather, NOTAMS, draw a line or two, plan (2-3 minutes max) weight & balance (rule of thumb), performance (rule of thumb) and fly... S M I L E as you enjoy the view out of the window. That is what flying is about. I certainly was when I did it both for pleasure and money.

And on the subject, a few months ago the CAA Enforcement Branch asked for input regarding possible new punishments for airspace infringements. They were suggesting unlimited fines and imprisonment as a way of deterring people. My submission to them was that this would make no difference as these were non-intentional violations and draconian punishments would have little effect on infringements. Maybe I was naive. In my mind's eye I was imagining a well trained PPL with map, compass and stopwatch getting his numbers wrong. A genuine mistake. But you lot telling me that you are whizzing around the sky relying in silicon to keep you out of trouble. It sounds like it won't be long before 100% of violations are made by pilots who should their current and expected positions to within plus/minus 10 meters. Then what excuse will you have? You weren't trained? Database error? Incompetence?

Keep smiling.

PM