PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF VIP Fleet Renewal
View Single Post
Old 9th Oct 2016, 06:48
Stuart Midgley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BuzzBox
I suspect that's exactly what they'll do, as it was back in the 'old' days when the BAC 1-11s, DA-20s and HS-748s did the majority of VIP flying, and the B707 was called in for longer overseas trips or the odd election campaign. I also suspect they'll need to convert more than one KC30A to fill the role, firstly to provide a spare and secondly to cater for the Opposition's requirements during election campaigns.
I wonder if the A330/MRTT would even get used much during election campaigns - they typically involve a lot of visits to regional centres that might not have the infrastructure for that size aircraft. An MRTT was parked outside my office window ten days ago, they certainly ain't small. The BBJ/rented Fokker-for-the-press model seemed to work for the government last election.

Most importantly of all of course, will the dual-purpose MRTT be painted in VIP colours like the BBJs or in refuelling low-vis? If the former, expect much to be made of how 'it can be repainted for war in 48 hours', etc etc. Just as Brittania was so often used in her secondary role as a hospital ship.