PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2016, 10:45
VJW

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I have to say as a recent addition to the pool, the last few pages on here paint a very bleak outlook on the airline I've worked so hard to join.

As an 8 year contractor to the company I 'provide a service' to, where I am on a zero hours contract, have spent many of my days off commuting back an forth to various bases in different countries for my entire career, where I have to pay for my uniform, food on board, medical renewals, sim checks, where I get zero pension, zero paid holiday/sick pay, zero travel benefits and zero loss of licence insurance, I find it hard to stomach that BA's management is dreadful compared to how bad it could be.

Is it likely that on the whole, as a human race, we are just never satisfied? Sure BA's management might be trying to squeeze more and more out of their workforce, but that's just the way of the world these days, and I'd love to know if there has ever been a BA pilot that has left to go seek work at the airline I describe.

If staff have low morale, I'm of the opinion that you simply can't just blame other people. I fully expect to work hard when I finally join, I want too! I'm pretty sure that if and when I meet someone in BA that tries to put a dampener on the company and morale, and then having explained where it is I've just come from, it will soon make them realise in fact they don't know how fortunate they are.

I bet the average office workers are tired on their 9-5 jobs Monday to Friday, working for a fraction of what we make, getting less days off a month then we get. Being tired by definition is the net result of 'work' and should be expected.

Of course people are all different. Different stages of their career and family life, so what might be tough for one person might be perfect for another. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the last few paragraphs is simply mine. I still can't wait to join. The last few pages have been extremely helpful though so thanks for all the input and advice. It would be foolish of me however to go to BA thinking everything is perfect there, what I'm certain of is it's a ridiculous amount better than where I am, and if BA management is dreadful, we're all in trouble.