PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 8th Oct 2016, 10:00
Sporran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found this thread (as a link from the BALPA forum) and am VERY impressed at how fair and balanced the comments are.

I have just moved to LHS on L/H and for ME the move has been a complete joy! Lots of years LHS on the airbus flogging around Europe was very hard work indeed. I thoroughly enjoyed the flying, with lots of really top people, but the ‘LHR factor’ is awful. Long taxi times, no stands available, no tugs etc etc and the slothful union driven working practices from ground staff can make it much more challenging and energy sapping than it needs to be. Unfortunately, particularly with the new EASA limits S/H in BA has become very, very tiring indeed.

The L/H lifestyle suits me very well. I seem to do a good job ‘managing’ jet-lag and find that I am much more refreshed after a L/H trip than I was after a multi-day S/H tour. That said I enjoy the benefit of lots of 3-person trips and the bunks really are very comfy indeed.

The BIGGEST problem at present in BA is the VERY LOW MORALE amongst all staff – not just pilots. The level of ‘management’ is really poor and there appears to be a complete breakdown in trust between 90% of senior managers and pilots. Decisions are made by bean-counters!!! Cost of everything and value of nothing is very much the BA bean-counter mantra!

I feel that the BALPA guys and girls have received a lot of unfair stick over the last few pages. Particularly with the many problem areas at the present time it would be inappropriate for them to make too much comment – in case comments could be used by legal teams later. I cannot see BA pilots taking strike action, but I do feel that some kind of go slow is very much on the cards.

One thing is a definite – the vast majority of BA pilots have always been very ‘on-side’ and willing to go the extra mile. I see that coming to an end and for the first time in decades I feel that I will not be busting a gut any more.

Challenging times ahead for pilots in BA! I echo the balanced comments of DEPs above, but the variety, options for fleet and seat changes and ‘job security’ still mean BA is a good option – even with dreadful management!!!