PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Direct Entry Pilot.
View Single Post
Old 7th Oct 2016, 11:08
Spookster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 whites 2 reds gave a similar experience to myself.

I'm a relatively newish joiner on LH. I think from the reading it's somewhat fleet dependant. I haven't been all that bowled over with my decision. This has been hard to stomach as I worked like a Trojan to join. I'm hopeful my view will change and I am working hard to keep my chin up with it.

For me the lifestyle and tiredness (dirty F word) are a problem. It's a dynamic situation (in the downward sense). Having tried LH elsewhere I don't feel the level of workload at the minute with the style of LH flying BA carries out goes hand in hand with the long term. It's 5 sometimes 6 complete nights sleep missing a month you never get back with lots of 2 "days off" between trips. Essentially it feels like long haul on a short haul roster.

You come back from a trip, spend the time off trying to recover and due to short time off go away again still not recovered - after a while you are simply frazzled. I work hard spending most of my time off dedicated to trying to recover, my own life seeming a sideline.

I do sense the tone from the machine is they want more. Already subtle tweaks here and there. With this sentiment perceptible from above I have asked myself what more my body can give. What is already in place is different to what was on the table when I joined and its still moving. I cannot see myself doing this for the next lot of decades. I'd have to take part time I think if they will give it to me or even look at other options. Something I didnt think id be saying.

BA is a good company itself. Its a little austere and icyly corporate - whether they know they come across like this or not. The pay is decent, the pension is still pretty decent, staff travel is ok, i wouldnt say its as great as you might expect from a huge scheduled airline. The leave is good and spread out - there's no "trump" off day system. From what I hear the line managers seem to be very helpful if something goes wrong for you in life which is good to know.

All my own perception and im sure there are people very happy there, it is a vast company.

Last edited by Spookster; 7th Oct 2016 at 15:38.