PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Long Haul International EBA is up!!
Old 5th Oct 2016, 08:08
Vorsicht

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atlas

From the perspective of someone who has been in the industry for a lifetime, and all I want is for Virgin to last till I retire, becuase I really don't want to have to do another job interview, I absolutely respect your right to comment regardless of how long you have been here. Like any issue anywhere in the world, a fresh view can often have a major impact, although probably not at Virgin.

My advice to you is not to be too committed to Virgin. You are right, it is a company with potential being run by idiots who are seem to be driven by ego rather than objective assessment of the industry. (Why are we the only airline in the world that doesn't know how to make money from a 777?).

I'm assuming your are young(ish), but that is not really relevant. After two years at Virgin you don't really have that much invested here, so go wherever your personal future is best served. Staying at Virgin in the blind hope that things might get better is not a plan. Sure it might work out that way, but there are no signs of it yet. But if you're happy to stay on the hamster wheel, then I have no problem with that either. Certainly if you stay and it works out, then you will have the comfort of sticking to your guns and standing by your convictions. Aviation is unforgiving, however. No matter how many single engine taxi's you do, if the airline ever goes through a reduction in numbers, you will be just that, a number.

I've been extremely lucky in my aviation career and I could look back and say that I took calculated risks, I moved to where things where happening, I progressed and achieved my goals. The reality is, however, that I had no idea what I was doing, I made some lucky choices and it worked out.

All the guys at the top of the tree at Virgin are just the same. They joined a rock show that had no chance of surviving. If it wasn't for the collapse of Ansett, Virgin Blue would just be a smudge mark in the history of Australian aviation, right alongside Compass 1 and 2. Some of those guys now think they are the smartest guys in the room because they have low seniority numbers. They are not. Many of them are the guys that couldn't buy a job, but now are swinging dicks in an ordinary airline. I will also say, many of those guys are fabulous aviators and would have probably succeeded in the industry irrespective of Virgin Blue's fortunes. The point is though, it was all just luck, there was no cunning plan or grand vision.

Don't wait for Borghetti and friends to build your career. Tread your own path. If that's Virgin, then I wish you a long and prosperous career. If it's elsewhere, then good luck with that too. Just remember, nothing you do in your day to day job is going to impact the fortunes of Virgin Australia. All that will be decided in boardrooms here, in China and the Middle East.