PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot-in-charge "monitored approach" new thread
Old 4th Oct 2016, 18:58
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed. The idea that PF can transit from head-in to head-out at or near minimums, safely, AND then make a safe decision to land or not; and if not visual to then transit back inside to make a GA as the A/P disconnects (B737) safely, does not seem to be the best solution. Indeed, I would consider it nigh impossible for PF to have AP in CMD, go head out at DA +100, search for visual reference, decide NO at DA, go head in and make a GA and achieve the required max sink height during the transition. If the cloud base is DA +500' there is not a big problem, if vis is OK. In dodgy weather, PNF has been searching for visual clues approaching minimums: the a/c will be in trim and so the hand over for the landing is non-problematic. If the call is GA there is no hand over; i.e. the approach PF is the 'go-round man'. It's very relaxed and stress-free, in reality. IMHO it is only a bad weather (vis & cloudbase) occasion. There is no macho issue here, just a safety one, that is expected by the pax.
Remember, in todays day & age where min fuel is the norm, it is safer to land 1st time rather than GA and lose quite a bit of fuel for the 2nd attempt.