PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Samsung Tablet / phone problems (Combined)
Old 4th Oct 2016, 00:47
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deeceethree:
It is the Samsung Galaxy Note7 with it's stylus pen that you need to be careful about, and I believe it is the versions purchased before 15 September that have the faulty battery. Samsung has begun an international recall program to exchange potentially faulty Note7 devices with new ones that have a reliable battery.
I seriously doubt with the number of different PEDs and cell phones around that cabin crew will be able to identify the Galaxy Note 7 from a Galaxy 7 or a Galaxy Note 5 or even an LG or HTC phone. There will even be some pax that are uncertain what phone they have. Although Samsung have had around 40 problem devices per million of the type with a misdesigned battery, they are not the only company to have had incendiary phones or laptops.
It would make sense to have standard rules for all devices with lithium batteries. For example devices should always be completely shut down if put in the overheads or in underseat luggage space. The only time the devices can be on or be charged is when the pax have them out. All flights should carry containers or bags that can be filled with water to immerse an e-cigarette, a PED or a laptop with a runaway battery. The cabin crew should be trained in actions in the rare event that one of these devices overheats.

Expecting crew and pax to identify particular models of PED is asking a lot.

Last edited by Ian W; 4th Oct 2016 at 00:48. Reason: grammar