PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Australia Long Haul International EBA is up!!
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 12:20
theheadmaster

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Falling Leaf
While I agree that the VAI SO's are underpaid compared to other airlines, from what I'm reading here the QF long haul guys have thrown the unborn 787 SO's under the bus, looks like they will have a base around 105K. I think that will be similiar money to what VAI SO's will get under the new EBA.

Obviously the QF option becomes much more lucrative once you get on other fleets and ranks, but how many years will that take?
An interesting and common mis-perception.

Compared to someone who joins as an SO on the A330, the 787 SO will earn about $15,000 more base pay in year one. The cross over point is around the 3+ year point where the cumulative pay of the A330 overtakes the 787 SO. However, what that different pay scale helped pay for was the ability to be able to bid to other aircraft types as a SO. That is, a 787 SO can bid to be a SO on the A330, 747 or A380. This option was not available to SOs prior to the current EBA, where, generally, the only way to move was to take a promotion. This resulted in the so called 'day one lottery' where some recruits went to the A380 or 747 and made significantly more money than someone who was assigned to the A330. The new system incurs a greater training cost for the company as all new recruits will be assigned to the 787 and SO positions on other types will be advertised and awarded to current pilots.

This is not 'throwing the unborn 787 drivers under the bus', it is actually giving all new recruits the same starting point rather than 'day one lottery'. It also gives them an opportunity to be a SO on an existing fleet on existing conditions if they choose to - no B scale.

Last edited by theheadmaster; 3rd Oct 2016 at 12:42.