PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Samsung Tablet / phone problems (Combined)
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 10:03
deeceethree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful about which Samsung device you are referring to ...

Heard a briefing last week where we were told 'please tell a member of the cabin crew if you have a Samsung 7 in your hold luggage so we can delay the flight'.
Australian carriers acted speedily to the Galaxy 7 recall by making the traveling public aware of the issue well before the FAA's ruling came into force on 9 Sep.
Which means that no-one knew not to pack a Galaxy 7 in their baggage.
A couple of the posts here have used the term "Samsung 7" or "Galaxy 7" when referring to the recent battery fire and recall issues experienced by some Samsung device owners. Be very careful with the terminology you use when describing the actual problem device because the problem exists specifically with the Samsung Galaxy Note7. Samsung has two other similarly named devices that are not subject to the problems and recall action, these are the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge.

It is the Samsung Galaxy Note7 with it's stylus pen that you need to be careful about, and I believe it is the versions purchased before 15 September that have the faulty battery. Samsung has begun an international recall program to exchange potentially faulty Note7 devices with new ones that have a reliable battery. Of course, it will likely be some time before regulatory authorities and airlines revise their newly-announced rules to deal with the carriage of the Galaxy Note7, so even versions that have the newer battery will undoubtedley get swept up up in not being allowed to be carried or turned on etc.

The Samsung Galaxy Note7 is easily identified from the other two devices because it has a stylus pen that is stored by sliding it up into a receptacle hole on the bottom right-hand corner of the device. So, just be sure you know which particular device you are actually referring to before anyone is accused of maligning owners of the Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S7 Edge smartphones.

PS: No, I am not affiliated with Samsung in any way, but I do own a Galaxy S7 and I do fly large passenger-carrying airliners for a living.