PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot-in-charge "monitored approach" new thread
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 18:43
Jwscud

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I have flown:

- non-monitored approaches (CAT I Bizjet)
- Monitored approaches below certain Wx minima only (Cat 3a 737 Loco)
- Monitored approaches at all times (Cat 3b Big Airlines 777)

I very much dislike the first option - in a Cat I aircraft right at Cat I minima, looking up at DA and transitioning to visual is no fun. Ditto at minimum vis for an NPA.

The second option I experienced only as the FO who would always fly the approach and go around, but worked very well in close to limiting conditions and was a good balance.

The third I have less than a year's experience of on the line but as a long haul pilot I enjoy it. One gets some stick time every sector and when knackered after a long night flight it is nice to take the jet with someone else having put it in the slot for landing for you. There is a minor professional pride thing if you fly a nice visual of the other person landing it but on balance I rather enjoy it. Not necessarily sure I'd think the same way if I were doing 4 sector short haul days the same way but I won't know until I've tried it. The way it's done in low vis seems a bit odd compared with elsewhere but I'm yet to do it in anger so am withholding my judgement.