PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Adelaide in for a storm!
View Single Post
Old 30th Sep 2016, 22:02
Flying Binghi

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
via Ultralights:
yes, the problem will be solved, and solutions are already starting to take shape! i myself have a 15KwH battery attached to the grid in the form of an EV vehicle, when im not driving it obviously, Nissan Leaf vehicles when plugged into the grid to charge, can be used as storage to smooth out those fluctuations in the UK. called Grid vehicles, the cars communicate with the energy providers, and when demanded, can return energy back to the grid from their drive batteries, or slow or stop their charging temporarily, or if needed can take up extra power when demand drops, by fast charging the vehicle.

How to Sell Power from Electric Cars Back to the Grid - Scientific American

Link to PDF paper from Uni of Denmark here http://www.edison-net.dk/~/media/EDI...n%20study.ashx
Hmmm... So yer got an electric vehicle. A taxpayer subsidised electric vehicle ?
Considering that Oz power grids are maxed out I'm wondering just how many more taxpayer subsidised electric vehicles we can take..

Anyway, reading the supplied links about all this charging, discharging got me thinking about battery life. A read of the links gave me this: "...the impact of charging and discharging on battery lifetime also has to be considered. The EV batteries characteristics that have to be included in the EV model are: charging power, discharging power, maximum SOC, minimum SOC/maximum depth of discharge (DOD) and charging time..." . All and good though apart from a very vague chart they didn't give any real answer to it. If the idea is to smooth out 'fluctuations in the grid' then yer might find the cars batterys are doing 100's of part cycles in a day. Those bright spark EV owners utilising the 'grid vehicle' program may find themselves buying a whole new battery pack every second year..