PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do civilan pilots view military pilots
Old 29th Sep 2016, 09:16
sharpend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a GA pilot who flew for the military for 39 years. I'm an ex QFI on Bulldogs, Chippies, VC10s, Hawks & Jaguars. I have know many rubbish military pilots, but all are very well trained and most are efficient, skilled and motivated. However, one highly decorated USAF Colonel once described the archetypal fighter pilot as all balls and no brain who thinks he is God's gift to women. Not quite true, but many do think they are Gods . I suppose the same may be true of some F1 drivers. My view of GA pilots is of a curates egg. Some are very good and highly skilled, some are grossly over confident whereas some are very under confident. Some are useless and/or dangerous. Additionally, if you read my article in the last LAA magazine you will know my views on GA pilots who wear beach clothing to fly; shorts, sandals and short-sleeve shirts. Such pilots have no idea how to survive a fire. Worse still, they allow their lady passengers to wear high-heels and short skirts. If your car breaks down you stop and call the AA. If your aeroplane breaks down there is a chance you end up upside down in a field and possibly on fire. What has this got to do with my thoughts on GA pilots? Some are not very professional; something that military pilots, on the whole, are.