PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IATA concerned about increase in problem passengers
Old 28th Sep 2016, 22:26
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As an organisation we have suffered from only a few disruptive passengers. They vary from drunks in the cheap seats to bolshy individuals in the front. Alchohol has been a factor in most of the cases and the very worst are groups who have had too much. The remainder were "difficult" people, the sort who will not take no for an answer, especially from a girl. Others had personal problems and one or two had psychological problems. And the rest, who knows.

The strangest thing is that when (if) the troublesome muppets face the authorities, rarely they do they think they have done anything wrong. They think you are over-reacting and they tell you that they were only having a bit of fun. And I can see why. Over the past few years we have put with this type of behaviour. Only when it is made totally clear such behaviour is not acceptable will things change. And that will take at least one generation to fix. Until then, my company will bounce these people off in ones and twos and the charter/LoCos will chuck them off in 10s and 20s.

Solutions: The threat of fines and imprisonment appear not to work. So something else is required. A good start would be a mandatory fine and imprisonment. Then full recovery of costs. Then a permanent passport ban would top it off nicely. For foreign nationals a lifetime exclusion would be imposed when they leave prison.

Not very progressive or left-wing I know, but their methods have been shown to be useless.