PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do civilan pilots view military pilots
Old 28th Sep 2016, 12:46
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 425 Likes on 224 Posts
Lafyar,

A very good and accurate post, imho.

I began my flying career some forty three years ago by being trained to PPL standard by civilian instructors (never actually held a PPL though), then on acceptance by the RAF, pulled apart and trained again by military QFIs and QHIs. I later became a military instructor myself, on both fixed wing and helicopters, then became a civilian pilot again twenty years on from there. I'm now a confirmed civvy, after another 23 years, have done more time out than in.

I'd say there are good and bad pilots on both sides of the fence and never dismiss anyone's training background and experience out of hand or out of personal prejudice.

However, it should be borne in mind that military pilots are required to operate the aircraft in any number of challenging roles, rather than just managing to fly an aircraft from A to B. It's a very different ballgame when you know there are people out there who desperately want you dead! I've seen many good military pilots not make it through the operational part of an Operational Conversion Unit. They could cope with the aircraft but not the military job it was actually there to do. The pressure on young military pilots in training is immense and doesn't finish once on the squadron. Looking back, my first "proper job" was as a front line battlefield helicopter captain (single pilot back then) at the age of 23. I look at my own sons, all being now quite a few years older than I was back then and I can only wonder how on earth I managed to do it, or how the RAF trusted me to do it.