PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do civilan pilots view military pilots
Old 28th Sep 2016, 11:07
Brad2523

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My grandfather was in the fleet air arm and my uncle was a captain for an airline - but it was really the Air Training Corps that I joined at 13 that made me want to fly.

I was lucky enough to have many hours training on Grob Tutors, with incredibly friendly air experience flight ex-RAF pilots. On the various camps and trips we went on I again was lucky enough to meet an array of military pilots and gain lots of air experience in both helicopters and fixed wing.

Their enthusiasm and love of flying rubbed off on me but I would never pursue a military career, however have now completed my PPL. I never felt looked down upon or patronised by them.

More recently a few friends from back at school are now in various roles in the RAF and on catching up with them we have only spoken of the different experiences that we have had - I am often around biz jets for work (although I only have a PPL, but I can look and dream and chat with the crews) and they seem as interested in these as I am in what they fly and I get the feeling this isn't just out of politeness but are genuinely interested.