PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crowded Skies documentary
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2003, 21:05
gasax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the programme did point the finger a bit.

But the open FIR is supposed to be available to everyone - it is not a military only area. Of course that is heresy in this forum where the world only exists because of grey coloured machines.

Yes with scheduled traffic not flying in the airways, conflict is pretty inevitable.

I certainly hope everyone tries very hard - because if a FJ ever collides with a scheduled flight, the one certainty is that the RAF will be doing a lot more flying in Canada and virtually none here.

Light aircraft pilots have come to terms with being unavoidable casualties from 'necessary military training'. Joe Soap and his family have not and will not.

But remember 'free flight' is coming to the US and once EUROCONTROL is sorted it will happen here. Something much more sophisicated and dare I say it co-ordinated is then going to be necessary. I'd like to think that people are already working on that, but I know they are not.

Something is going to have to alter and I rather doubt it will be more 'military only' airspace. Much more likely are the sort of restrictions that the German and Dutch airforces have to work under.