PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you suggest being an airline pilot as a carreer?
Old 20th Sep 2016, 00:59
TacomaSailor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a little confused by all NO responses I've read here. I am not a pilot but have two friends who are Captains on major US airlines. We spend a lot of time visiting here in the marina, drinking beer, sailing and discussing life. 40-some years ago I was accepted into the United Airlines ab-initio program but then chose to pursue a career with those new gadgets known as computers. I pester my captain friends with endless questions about life as a pilot and their choice of that lifestyle compared to my life of traveling the world as a computer geek.

They both love their jobs and are enthusiastic about the work. One is a very junior captain who seldom gets anything he bids. The other has five years as a Captain and can hold some of his bids.

They both look forward to work and also the many interesting opportunities for travel. They are both 20-year US military fast jet veterans who also served many years in the reserves.

Is life for a captain at a major US carrier that much better than for the other pilot jobs I read about here in this thread?