PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you suggest being an airline pilot as a carreer?
Old 19th Sep 2016, 08:17
Wirbelsturm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
30 years of flying now having had the privilege of flying most things fast, slow, fixed and rotary.

My view of the industry after all these years is tainted by the experiences of years gone past and the old duffers propensity to grumble that it 'ain't like it used to be'. The industry has changed, how could it not. However when I started flying the industry had changed then as well and I enjoyed it. It will continue to change into the future I'm sure.

My son's view of the industry, as he looks in from the outside, is somewhat different to mine and whilst, like most teenagers, he's reticent to listen and heed advise from the 'past it' brigade I have to admire his drive and enthusiasm to look at the positives within the industry as they exist today without the fogged gaze of looking back.

All circumstances are different. Everyones perspective is different. What some may find acceptable and exciting others may not. I personally don't think the job of an airline pilot is a viable career for someone starting out from scratch. This is however based upon my experiences of the changes wrought over the last 30 years. My son views it differently and is actively pursuing the requisites required to enter FPP programs. Despite my misgivings I can see the dedication (a word not often used in the same sentence as 'teenager' ) he has therefore I will support him all the way and may he have as fun and fulfilling career as I have enjoyed.

Cheers

Wirbs