PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you suggest being an airline pilot as a carreer?
Old 18th Sep 2016, 20:01
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overall, I would not recommend airline flying as a career. I'm now in my 24th year.

During my time flying two employers have ceased operations, I left another (that later went bust) that was run by a one-eyed criminal and my current employer, even though part of a legacy airline has slowly been winding the screw on our T's & C's. Shortly I will have to leave as I will not be able to continue my employment due to the terms that will be offered. This will suit me for a whole variety of reasons, one of which is that flying is not as much fun as it should be.

When I started, I didn't work too hard. Typically a seven-eight hour day, sometime less. But the view was good and I enjoyed the flying. But some parts of our current modern world were creeping in. The writing in small boxes that demonstrated that X, Y and Z had been done. The fear of the regulator and the constant fuel vs payload battle. But it was good flying.

Eventually I joined a largish regional airline and although many bits were amateurish, you were allowed to contribute and bring something of your own to the job, even if that was your enthusiasm. Over the course of time, I got to fly all over Europe in nice, brand new shiny jets. The operation is well run, legal and probably like the rest of you, I'm not even slightly worried about a ramp check. Anyone who checks us will be offered drinks and food. I also have the pleasure of flying with young F/O's (average age late 20's) and even younger C/A's. They are well motivated and enthusiastic and great people to spend time with.

But each of my colleagues started with a debt of about €150,000. They have been flying flat out (in our terms) and regularly up to six days a week. But they had no guarantee of a job when they decided to start flying. But remember, I fly with the lucky ones. Many of their friends have the debt and no job. Some end up as flap operators in Asia, others driving cabs in the wee small hours.

And if you do have a job, the current climate of competitive pressure means airlines will be making savings everywhere they can. And this reduces the quality of our lives. Like getting a cheaper cab company where the cabs are so dirty you wipe your feet on the way out. Security is also starting to grate. You can only accept so much theatre from the small minded individuals who dish out their daily dose of pointless and totally worthless antics. Then we have put up with the slots allocated by the muppets somewhere in Euroland. At least you know when you are flying two hours behind scheduie that the sky will be empty.

A lucky person entering flying now might get a job in a LoCo after 18 months after learning to fly. After five years of flying they will be close to a command and a few years after that be close to being burnt out. So they move to the sand pit and find it is even worse.

And we haven't even disussed the corrosive effect of flying on your family and personal life. You might be lucky and escape. But it's unlikely. You end up moving away from friends and family and our job (lates, earlies, week-ends, public holidays) makes it difficult to keep relatioships going.

So unless flying dramatically changes direction tomorrow, don't bother. Become a plumber or a train driver. It's not worth it.

PM

ps. When I retire I'm looking forward to NOT flying. I'm not queing, I'll not be touched up by a moron who couldn't get a proper job and I'll not pay for the privilege of parking in an airport car park. I'll happily stay at home and spend the money I'll save on more toys.