PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helideck aiming (TD/PM) circles
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2016, 18:36
check

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GKaplan,
Who is talking about ignorant, you, not me? Being unaware is not the same as being ignorant. When you are on the road road signs give information and by observing them you are less likely to have an accident. As part of your driving test you must learn about the highway code.

What is the difference when you strap a helicopter to your backside? Rules of the Air, Air Law, Instrument Flight Rules are followed and pilots are checked numerous times over the flying career, but come to an offshore lading area rules go out the window, not because pilots are ignorant, but because they don't have understand the signage. Don't get me wrong I was one of those too, but once I started to fly in Europe I came acros the Helideck Manual, read it and saw the light.

Before I retired I had access to a number of videos of helicopters sticking their tail rotors into obstructions, all preventable if the deck indications were followed.

Back to the photo, yes the landing easy safe, what is safer is using the H and the circle so no matter your approach direction you will always be safe. Moving cranes are another story!