PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2016, 13:47
Constructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spanish eyes you are correct as to the tie in point of alpha at the 26 end. The designer will always look at the earthworks balance. What you dig you can reuse on site. To dispose of material off site can vary from £150 to £1000 per 8 wheel lorry load. Those figures depend on the type of material, what type of tip it goes to and how far is the tip. Those figures are a general guide. However if you have a large hole that needs filling you can charge the haulier for tipping a load of clean soil on your land. The price per load will depend on local conditions but as an average £100 per lorry. Many schemes have been self financing. You do need the correct pieces of paper in place to import material from off site locations. My memory of the ground profile at the 26 end is that there would be a steep slope from the extended taxiway. I seem to remember seeing a sketch some years ago showing Alpha crossing the runway at its present location and continuing on the south side of the runway to tie in at the 26 turning circle. The existing ground profile is much better on the south side. Anyone know what happened to that idea?
The issue of pedestrians and traffic conflict has been recognised for some time now. As you say it is not going away. Your idea of doing away with the island is certainly a solution even if it means losing half the parking spaces. You are also correct in the dual carriageway becoming a single lane car park road will lead to tail backs. I have advocated in the past to extend the bus lane all the way into the CTA. This would ensure the Thameslink buses would have a clear run along with the car park and staff buses not being delayed. If cars begin queuing they have the option of switching to variou other car parks.