PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you suggest being an airline pilot as a carreer?
Old 17th Sep 2016, 23:49
twtiger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a great thread. Thanks for all the info. I've been contemplating the idea of becoming a cadet for a long time and looking at these threads always helps as an eye opener. So thanks again.

Then again im in my mid 20s, have a uni degree, worked in different sectors including finance and on a plane as cc. Its obvious that terms aren't as good as they are though i notice a pattern sometimes on here , that most of those that still enjoy the profession are those that are able to compare the career to previous careers on ground.

That being said when I was in Uni, my mentors also told me to choose another career from my studies. When i graduated and worked in other industries i'd say most of the elders i worked with always said to do something else although the money was good but not as good as it used to be. I mean even the old cc at my old airline would miss the good old days when they could smoke a cig in the galley and fly for just 50hrs a month and earn the same amount as today. I think its rare for anyone in any field to say things have improved from the old days, be it finance, airlines, restaurants etc.. I have yet to find a profession where people praise the t&c's unless u own ur own business and ur the boss of course

So again thank you for all the eye openers, i think its great for ppl not to go in to the profession blinded by a movie or two. Same as you wouldn't go into wall street just because you watched "the wolf of wall street" i guess haha.