PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 22:31
Constructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 1998/9 extension was more than just a check in hall. The airside works were the widening and strengthening of delta ( excluding the link to the main apron), the construction of the east stands, the construction of alpha from beta (engine run up bay) to its current tie in to the runway. This taxiway increase was a major part of the increase in traffic. There was also a lot of underground works needed for upgrading the follow on works. From memory the total talked about investment figure was never reached. The development partner and investment partner thought they had done enough, took their money back, flogged their shares and coined it in. The development since then has been in bits and pieces.
On a brighter note came through the airport Tuesday night 11.15 pm ish. The ground handling appeared to be one bloke. Had chocs on, front steps up , cones out and front steps up and door open in 5 mins, great worker. Immigration hall heaving. Went through auto gates in under 10 mins. 6 flights showing on info boards, not mine. Waited 10 mins cases through. Phoned local taxi firm for pick up. Out of airport 35 mins. Pedestrian crossing in set down/pick up area well marshalled at that time of night.Two of the marshals did not appear to speak English !!! Only downside taxi touts and unmarked taxis in pick up areas. The temporary foot ways and roadways leave a lot to be desired.
I use Menorca airport at least 3 times a year. Owned/operated by Aena. Very smart and efficient. If Luton is finished to the same standard I will be well impressed. Let's see the finished article before any more negative waves.