PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LUTON -8
Thread: LUTON -8
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2016, 05:24
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Buster, I can see where you are coming from but I would just want to add the following before I move on.

Work began on the redesigned scheme in October 2008 and was completed by March 2009 in part due to the new measures to restrict public vehicles getting closer than 30m to any terminal after he Glasgow terrorist attack.

The £1 drop off charge was introduced 29th April 2009
Luton Airport introduce £1 drop off fee : Luton Airport News Stories

The poor lady was killed on 16th May 2009 and the HSE served with an Improvement Notice on 17 July 2009.

The airport was taken to court for contravening a requirement imposed by an improvement notice served between 30 September 2009 and 25 May 2010
In relation to the CTA area, before the redesign, vehicles would stop on the roundabout, people would get out of their cars and then make their way to the terminal; and pedestrians would also make their way onto the roundabout from the terminal, taking the shortest visible route, because of a lack of appropriate guard rails/fencing, route-planning and traffic management. This was a significant hazard to pedestrians, which the defendants knew about before the redesign, but the appellant’s redesign did nothing to prevent such behaviour.
So it would seem that the railings were eventually put in for H&S reasons and my statement below was actually correct but they did not predate the accident

I assume they were put in to act as a passenger deterrent to stop people getting out of a stationary queuing car rather than keeping people on the pavement and off the road.