PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you suggest being an airline pilot as a carreer?
Old 16th Sep 2016, 21:19
xollob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think if you give a balanced view of the highs and lows they can hopefully make their mind up - use the video clips from catch me if you can when he's an airline pilot....

Then turn around to the ones made on your iPhone of your colleague asleep in his chair at 36,000 with the wish you were here for my birthday dad card in the background, then pan to semi naked women in bikinis and the captain doing bodyshots off them at the pool bar and then that fades out to dreamy waves image and shows a crew in a hotel lobby at 35c sweating their asses off after a 15 hours day and they've been there for 2 hours because someone hasn't booked the right rooms again or the delayed crews hot bedding rooms haven't been done yet....

Finally as closing scene find a blockbuster Hollywood movie that shows the pilot being greeted by the family with arms thrown around them and amazing upbeat music, fade this out to the pilot doing his laundry, dealing with the biggest pile of post ever and wondering why his phone doesn't ring, then pan to his mates going wild down the pub and saying "shame Jim couldn't he here again, hey has anyone phoned him?, na he never comes out anymore either away or always too tired,oh and it's awkward because bob is screwing his wife because she's so lonely and he's so tired and grumpy and no fun anymore "......

Pan to Bob and Mrs Captains former wife getting married and captain with half a bottle of booze in a strip club looking at the tired card from earlier scene saying "wish you were here dad"

"no" by the way lol

ps - not my life but that of so many colleagues in the industry. I'd definately do a wall paid job if I had my time again and spend evening and weekends with family and see the kids every Christmas and birthday. Life's too short ! Self
employed plumbers and electricians, IT contractor take home more than I do and work their own hours with massive tax benefits.

Last edited by xollob; 16th Sep 2016 at 21:29.