PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you suggest being an airline pilot as a carreer?
Old 13th Sep 2016, 15:21
Mikehotel152

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it, but I think an honest summary of the profession would include many positives. Even sticking to modern airline flying.

The training cost is slightly misleading. Let's assume that it costs £100k to get a job these days. Time from zero to hero is only around 24 months. Starting salaries are high compared with other careers. I know plenty of 21-25 year old FOs earning £50k. Those pilots will probably get their commands and £100k+ before they're 30 years old.

Conversely, a future doctor or lawyer will study for twice or three times as long and earn half the money upon qualification. By the age of 30 those professionals might be earning as little as a third of the money taken home by an airline Captain.

If you think I exaggerate, let me add that this taken from personal experience. What's more, I know that airline flying is far easier and much more exciting (though it is like comparing apples and pears) than the work a lawyer might do on an average day.