PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you suggest being an airline pilot as a carreer?
Old 13th Sep 2016, 00:56
underfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would guess almost everyone has something bad to say about the career.

Look at almost any profession, doctors, nurses, soldiers, police, software programmers, factory workers, etc. How many of these do you pay outlandish fees for education, work long hard hours, work for free (interns), and miss holidays?
Being in the Army/Navy/AirForce is not a real treat, but people still line up to join.

Just how many careers are left that dont fit or match the 7 issues that you raise?

Explain the costs, which in reality, are pretty minimal considering what other professions require. One can join the Airforce and get paid to learn to fly.

Explain that they may be stationed elsewhere. Again, I doubt if this would not be a selling point!

Explain the hours, I really doubt very many people think this is a 9 to 5 job.

A system operator vs a ship commander? Have you noticed how the younger generation spends their time? You may not like the rules, but the automation certainly has made things better and safer.

Speaking of changing horses, how often does anyone stay at one employer these days? Staying at one place these days is more of a negative attribute than anything else. That usually only benefits the employer, not the employee. In programming, more that 3 years at one location means you are not successful at interviewing.

Explain to people how it works and let them decide.